FAQs about this trip
Mountain bike through the fantastic spires, arches, and buttes of Utah's canyon country.
The White Rim Trail, right in the heart of Utah's canyon country, ranks high among the world's classic mountain bike experiences.
Here, some 280 million years ago, sun and wind created a layer of hard white sandstone amidst the cliffs of modern-day Utah. Today, this unique stone gives its name to the White Rim Trail, which winds through Canyonlands National Park.
A thousand feet above the Colorado River, a thousand feet below the plateau known as Island in the Sky, the White Rim Trail provides mountain bikers with new and more magnificent views around every corner.
Our memorable mountain bike trip includes four days on the White Rim Trail and a couple of days for mountain biking and hiking closer to Moab in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.
- Bike four days on the White Rim Trail, an experience that was named one of "America’s 100 Greatest Adventures" by readers of National Geographic Adventure Magazine.
- Watch for elusive Desert Bighorns as you glide past towering rock formations that soar like castles into the air.
- After a day of biking, cool off in the clear waters of the Colorado River.
- For three nights fall asleep after a gourmet camp meal, surrounded by red sandstone cliffs, as the Milky Way arches overhead.
- Hop off your bike and explore on foot: Visit an abandoned Indian dwelling, or hike into a slot canyon.
- Hike through some of the most pristine and protected sights in America.
- Explore the Canyonlands from the bottom of the cliffs by joining our Cataract Canyon whitewater rafting trip that starts in Moab the week before this tour.
- We offer a $50 discount on Cataract Canyon to anyone who joins both tours.
This trip is of moderate difficulty. We'll be biking 20 to 25 miles a day, on doubletrack with a mix of packed dirt, loose rock, broken slickrock and a bit of sand. You should be in good physical condition, with cycling experience, and be comfortable going both uphill and downhill on a bike on unpaved routes, to fully enjoy this trip. Technically, it is not difficult, and previous mountain bike experience is not needed.
"Friendly people, exhilarating activities, glorious scenery, and spectacular food all contributed to make Castles in the Air the most amazing vacation of my life!" Joe Billingsley, Media, Penn.
"We were in great hands. The riding, hiking and scenery were spectacular. I was so thrilled by the challenge each of us met." Brian Robin, New York, N.Y.
We don't offer every trip every year, and no departures are currently scheduled for this trip. Our home page will make it easy to locate forthcoming departures of interest.
Check out our list of
other bike tours!
Prices are per-person, based on double occupancy. Tours often fill up months before departure. We regularly update our travel schedule to show the status of this and other trips.
So are most of the people who travel with us. You do not need to pay extra to travel by yourself. Prices are per-person, and the single supplement applies only if you'd like a room by yourself. For selected trips, including cruises, we will charge half the single supplement if you request a roommate but we can't match you with someone.
Begins and ends in Moab, Utah
Six nights accommodations (3 nights camping; 3 nights in hotel in Moab);
Use of mountain bike on 5 days;
One day of mountain biking outside Moab, Utah;
Four days of mountain biking on the famed White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park;
All meals except one lunch and one dinner. (Beer or wine is included with welcome and farewell dinners.)
Travel to and from Moab hotel;
One lunch, one dinner;
Gratuities for guides;
You are responsible for damage to, or loss of, your bike.